<body>
Friday, June 01, 2007
Came back from CCAL camp about 2 days ago and so it's time to reflect on the 3D2N outdoor camp at Nirwana Gardnens, Bintan

Monday 28/05
Woke up bright and early, did some last minute packing i.e. stuffing 2 energy bars into my obese backpack and whizzed off to school! Assembled at the ISH, collected my camp t-shirt, ferry ticket and met up with my group 4A mates: mandy, giraffe, alyssa, leonard, lester, brian, taufiq and kahhow (;

Things kicked off to a slow start as everyone just konked out on the bus to tanah merah where we were taking a ferry (INDERA BUPALA) to bintan island! debb and chinks totally maluated themselves in front of almost half the ccals la. "OMG debb! canoe vcapt getting seasick?!" hahahaha! yeahh... just imagine ms deborah tan carrying a puke bag around -shakes head. well alright, to be honest, I felt kinda queasy too. The waves were one of a kind, super choppy :/ Finally reached bintan ferry terminal and we were brought to the campsite via bus again... How sucky can it be to be driven right past the beautiful resorts and stopped at the Nirwana Gardens Resort Carpark only to be told that we have to walk further in to reach CampABLE.
tent mates! (: from left: alyssa, me, mandy, giraffe

CampABLE! We were warmly greeted by security guards who gave us prisoner-like orange tags to be worn on our wrists so that we can be identified if we so wished to intrude into the resort.

haha! Put down our bags and we were off to our first activity--- Kayaking; Enabling Others To Act. hi muddy! haha! lugged super heavy fiberglass kayaks down into the water. When I say super heavy, I really mean it. They looked like some obese slices of bananas la, I promise never to complain about the weight of my k2 ever again. Those kayaks were literally uncappable. Not to mention the 1.5kg paddle, whoa.. good weights training. Rowed a doubles with giraffee and we were the sweepers! (: wheeee! pretty slack job actually, since we were supposed to stay right at the back of the entire fleet to make sure no one falls too far behind, giraffee and I enjoyed our time talking/ laughing and talking some more to one of the j2 odacians James. Weather was fine, the water was pretty pretty (comparable to tioman's) and overall a pleasant journey :D

After the kayaking expedition and a quick lunch, we were brought to our next activity--- Team building aka low elements; Challenging The Process. Somehow things felt different compared to the previous times when I used to do all these elements at rg leadership camps. Frankly I think it was rather refreshing to hear new suggestions from the guys. Guess guys and girls are wired differently, even the way we do simple things are different. Attempted the see-saw first, where we were supposed to balance the see saw for 20 seconds. Tried all ways and means, even sitting down on the see-saw, but nothing seemed to work. So we just moved on to the high wall. That was successful (: managed to get all 9 group members up onto the other side via "cheerleading methods" haha! knew those skills would come in handy one day haha! Did the usual spider web, nitro crossing and okay, I've got to mention this one... We were supposed to put a rubber tire through a tall pole and bring it out again without the insides of the tire touching the pole. Got quite freaked out when the guys asked me to be the one to stand on their shoulders and get up there :/ alyssa was on brian and lester's shoulders, whilst I was on leonard's and taufiq. I'M SO SO SORRY TAUFIQ! HOPE THAT I DIDN'T BREAK YOUR SHOULDER BLADES OR SOMETHING! He was just yelling from below how heavy I was, hahha! WHOOOPS! so paisehh. well eventually we accomplished this task without breaking anyone's bones.

next challenge was "shelter building" where we were supposed to be shipwrecked and stranded on an island with 3 bamboo poles, 2 ropes and a sail, with which we were to build a shelter that could protect the entire group from the "storm" that was approaching. yepp, managed to erect a structure but when the storm came (buckets of water being poured on us from ALL directions).... we still got drenched anyway. btw, I didn't know that rain came horizontally -.-" okay, then one bamboo pole got "washed away" Thought for quite a while before coming up with this amazing idea to have a T structure -.-" hahahha! obviously it couldn't stand on its own so well, we just destroyed our structure and wrapped the whole sail around ourselves :D that worked much much better. haha! (: sand castle building next! Construct a sand structure that is representative of Raffles, being the oh-so-creative 4A, we decided to use the template printed on the back of our PE tshirts!

--------------------- 4 RAFFLES ---------------------
GET IT? (:

Outdoor cooking was erm... MESSY. -faints. I think if we had less variety of raw food to choose from, our food would have tasted better. Let's see.. we were given carrots, cabbage, eggs (yum) and RAW FISH. mmhmm. The fish was the most headache-y part of the entire cooking process. In the end, we kinda gave up on cooking fancy stuff and just cooked the noodles + salt and pepper. Nice simple dinner. haha! ohyes, brian exposed his hidden talent of cracking eggs! (: He was the official egg cracker of the night cos' he cracks eggs like those hawker uncles selling omelette/ hokkien mee. ahaha!

bedtime was unexpectedly pleasant. First time I felt so comfortable sleeping in a stuffy tent with a sleeping bag and an inflatable pillow! alright, I think it was the pillow that made the difference. haha!
Tuesday 29/05
woke up at 6.00am, by then it was so bright already. Felt well rested, despite an achy back due to the annoying rock that I slept on the entire night. ahwells.

RAFTING was the first activity of the day! Never quite mastered the skill of rafting on the many occasions that I've done it. Most of the time my raft would fall apart once it reached water and the instructor would go "never mind, good try. Now pack up" But this time it was different, everyone was so determined to accomplish the task no matter how long it took. Started off with the main structure of the entire raft, basic shape, tied the barrels to the side plus the mast and sail. Brought our raft out into the sea, everything seemed perfect. All the ropes were holding as we slowly mounted our structure. Next moment, SNAP. The wooden sticks holding the bamboo together broke into half. After that, everything just came undone. Brought everything up on shore, redid the knots, attached new wooden sticks, this time we left the mast behind...... out to sea. This time the prospects were promising, everyone looked so hopeful and excited, 3 people, 5 people on board. Then, SNAP. This time the wooden sticks broke right through the middle. Our raft was practically in two pieces. Being the leader of that activity, I had to make a decision, come up with a new layout, a new plan or just pack up and debrief about our mishap. I was uncertain at that point in time, but Mr. Koh and Miss Lim came up to me and said that we still had time, we could press on if we wanted to. I looked around me and saw a few defeated faces, but yet there were those few who wanted to see this project succeed and not leave things hanging in midair. So I decided to give it another try, we'll rid of the wooden sticks that have failed us twice, we'll just use the bamboo poles and barrels. This time we changed the entire structure to a T shape. (haha! yes, T again) It was lunch time already, we were all hungry and tired, but we perservered and ensured that every knot and clove hitch was properly done. It was the moment of truth...... at first the barrels flipped over, but the structure still held. 4 people on, 7 people, all of us+ mr koh and omg the ropes were still holding on! okay, I have to admit that water was up to my waist o_o" but still, we floated! :D :D It was nice seeing everyone's face beaming with pride and a sense of accomplishment. When we paddled out to the first green buoy and I touched it, I was happy. I knew that WE'VE finished the task that WE'VE set out to do, and WE did it well (:

mandy: AHHHHHHHH!
us: what!
mandy: I dropped an eyelash!
us: -.-"
mandy: I wish that it'll grow back again.

mmhmm, apparently mandy's wish was that we wouldn't have to go through the wakatobi jungle trail which was our next activity. Well, her wish didn't come through eventually, but God kinda delayed our trek as it started to rain. Bintan rain= torrential downpour= tents die= if you didn't water proof your belongings, ggxxed. Ran to the hotel lobby where we were to take shelter. And who would ever give up the chance to sit on a proper toilet bowl! (: hahahaha! the golden throne, I didn't want to get up from it la :/ ANYWAY, it poured for about 45mins before clearing up. Poor mandy, should have seen the look of depair on her face when Mr.Loh said "okay, we're going to resume our activities. Those going for the Wakatobi Jungle Trail, this is one you'll never forget" mmhmmm.... left the comfort of the lobby and walked back to our flooded campsite. We were just crossing our fingers, praying that we wouldn't be greeted by a private swimming pool when we opened our tent. THANK GOODNESS there were only puddles of water in the tent and my clothes were, relatively dry. Poor sophia's tent collapsed on them :/

WAKATOBI JUNGLE TRAIL. It wasn't that bad really. The mozzies weren't as vicious as other groups claimed, thanks to my imba mozzie repellent patch (: poor lester's neck was all bumpy with mozzie bites after the entire journey. In a way, I was thankful for the rain that brought about big puddles of water+ streams were we could jump into and splash about. hahahah! When it was time for mandy and I to take over the GPS to lead the group to the checkpoint, we kinda found the wrong one -.-" sadd. The little arrow on the GPS was so misleading! pointed us to a dead end. hrumph. Anyway, we all managed to get out of the jungle trail alive and kicking. yayyy. Alyssa had a free ride for the last part of the trek as she was supposed to be "injured" and we had to carry her on a stretcher all the way back to campsite.

debriefed and started to plan for campfire! panick panick cos' we haven't even thought of our item. -faints. Had a super grand dinner, buffet style near near the beach. spammed myself with fruits! yayy! fruits prevent constipation! ohyea... before I forget, here's what aunty lester said on our way back to Singapore "the lobby toilets were so nice that I forgot to constipate" HAHA! lester's hilarious. Anyway, thanks mandy for agreeing to malu yourself for the group! haha! Put up this really weird item where mandy was just screaming throughout the entire thing "AHHH! IT'S AN ANT!" then we just had to ENCOURAGE HER HEART to kill the ant. yepp. That so made sense.

Wednesday 30/05
Thank God it didn't rain at night, cos' my sleeping bag was soaked through, I didn't get to sleep with a comfy bed and instead had to make do with whatever dry ground we had in the tent+ my inflatable pillow of course (:

Last activity of the camp... AMAZING RACE! Everyone was pretty dead by that time and poor alyssa was nursing a cough so yea... we took things quite slowly. Walked from one checkpoint to another whilst completing the tasks set for us. I can say that the tasks weren't as challenging as the previous ones that we did throughout the 2 days but it was a very good time for us to reflect on what we've learnt from each other and to set goals for our respective ccas. What we want to achieve/ change to improve as a team.

Honestly I feel rather pressured to live up to the high standards that my predecessors have set before me. When people ask if I'm the Canoe captain, they'll go wahhhh, you've got big shoes to fill. I know that many people are watching me, my teammates, my seniors, teachers and even my peers. It's good to know that Canoeing has earned for itself a good reputation of a group of people whose passion for the sport drives them towards their goal of gold and a "never-say-die" attitude. Whilst people may think we're a masochistic bunch who are happy with gg trainings, I beg to differ as the camaraderie and dedication we show for the sport and team that we love is no doubt the strongest driving factor of the CCA. I have faith in this team and I believe that I will be able to inspire them to fight hard for the name of Raffles Canoeing. I'll not allow such external pressures to affect me, of course I'll definitely strive to continue what my seniors have done but I'll also want to build a unique team of Raffles Canoeing 0708, one that will leave a legacy of determination and fire to fuel many generations to come.

thank you 4A+ mr.koh for sharing this experience with me, it's been an unforgettable 3D2N spent with you all <3


RAFFLES JUNIOR COLLEGE
CCA LEADERS CAMP 2007
12:27 pm

PROFILE

berniceheng
28.11.1990
lovesGOD
Raffles Junior College
08S03N
rjROW

LINKS
PHOTO ALBUM!
andrea amanda leong athena barry candice cheryl cheah clara deborah eliza gabrielle garene geneve geraldine geriyeong germaineyap greg hannah hb heidi huiyi ivan tham j1 guys' canoeing j2guys' canoeing jac jianrong joohui juanmin jukhuan kaiqi kalya kara ann katrina kevin quah kor lighthouse mandy michael michelle ng minqi muddy natalia natalie nattay pan peiqi peishan prabs seet teng richard shawna sherrie shihui soolin tammy vic vivian xinyi jie yangyang yannie yilin yishan yufang yunhui zheng ning zhixian zishan
tag



"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe" -philippians 2:14-15


credits

IMAGE:
FD, gettyimages
BRUSHES: moargh, FM
LAYOUT: love-inROME